Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default OT. Street lights revisited ...

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Sold to finance a house move, the car still exists. How much remains of
what started out in 1956 is unknown but I changed the engine/gearbox,
front brakes, wheels and the ladder chassis. My insurers seemed
unpeturbed at the time but I suspect vehicle legislation has moved on..

The chassis tends to be the key one. If not a genuine new spare and you
inform the DVLA, you'll likely end up with a 'Q' registration. If
secondhand, you will be given the donor car number.

Morgans had stopped supplying replacement chassis the year before I
needed one (1971). Modern search engines might today have found one
somewhere but the solution at the time was to make one:-)

Again, finding a workshop with the capacity to fold steel sheet to the
length required would be easy today. In the event the *Z* section was
made up in two lengths, assembled to a chalk mark on my garage floor and
welded together by the local blacksmith:-)

The SD1 world has lots of this - a 'desirable' but rotten version being
re-shelled with one from a good condition lesser model. And then claiming
to be the 'desirable' one.

I didn't see a need to tell anyone other than my insurers:-)

--
Tim Lamb