Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Seal electrical boxes with aluminum tape?

TomR wrote:
RBM wrote:
On 3/18/2013 5:13 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 18, 4:45 pm, "TomR" wrote:
I just had some new 100-amp electric service panels . . .
You said "...starting with a regular metal 4-inch junction box and
then stacking one or two 4-inch metal box extenders on top of that to
create a larger junction box."

I wonder how many of these extenders you are allowed to use before a
panel is actuallly required. It seems to me that three 4" boxes
(that's a foot!) sticking off of a wall would be an issue in and of
itself.

They're 1 1/2" deep X 3 = 4 1/2" deep. Still a crappy job in my
opinion.

Oops, I wrote that they are 2 1/8 inches deep, but I think you are right and
they are 1 1/2 inches deep. I'll have to look again and double check to be
sure.

And, yes, it did strike me as an odd (a.k.a. crappy) setup. I would have
expected that he could have put in whatever size junction box that was
needed as a single box rather than cobbling together 2 or 3 of these on top
of each other.

But, that's what I got and now I have to wonder if the inspector will gig me
on that or just let it go as is. Even if I don't get gigged on it, I think
that I would like to wrap the boxes in high-temp aluminum tape anyway after
the inspector leaves -- assuming that isn't a problem for some reason.

I am not an electrician, but I am wondering.
If something required you to get to the first box in that stack,
wouldn't you have to remove the second and third boxes to get to the
first box, or am I missing the point?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY