Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default water pipe "upgrade"

wrote:
Hello all,

House has got a 3/4 copper running from the meter to just a few feet
under the crawl space. It then reduced to a 1/2 inch.

Pressure and flow is there but a hair weak when I had more than one
faucet running. Is it worth it to upsize the accessible part of the
piping with 3/4? Some were ran behind the walls, Don't want to tear
out the wall and replace the 1/2 in. behind it.

So, it will end up with 3/4 for most, reduced it to 1/2 just before it
disappears behind the walls.

thanks
richard

I read all of the posts on this so far.

Do you mean the 3/4 is visible in the crawl space (and is not "under" the
crawl space)?

If so, where is the hot water heater in relation to the 3/4 copper that is
in the crawl space?

My thinking is (as others have suggested) that if you can figure out a
relatively easy way to get the 3/4 copper supply to the hot water heater,
you can make a huge improvement in the water pressure by doing that. The
idea is to have 3/4 copper all the way until it splits off to a 1/2 copper
to the cold water and a 1/2 copper to the hot water heater.

I may not be describing this very well, but where is the hot water tank in
relation to the existing 3/4 copper? Is it easy to get the 3/4 from where
it is now to the hot water heater?