Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas furnace

On Mar 18, 10:57*am, jamesgang wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:46:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Can a heat exchanger be replaced or repaired on a gas furnace?

It's not often worth it. *Unless the furnace was very young. *Even warranty seldom covers the labor. *On most furnaces you parctically have to tear the entire thing apart to get at the heat exchanger. *So the labor is high. *Doubtful that anyone would repair because of the liability.

I agree. Can it be done and does it make any sense
are two different things. The eqpt cost for a new high
efficiency furnace can be as little as $1000. And I would
think the labor of getting that heat exchanger out and a
new one back in could be the same or more than putting in
a new, drop-in replacement furnace.