Posted to rec.woodworking

Default So when is the finishing finished?

On Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:41:13 PM UTC-7, Greg Guarino wrote:
Life has gotten busy and my bookcase project has slowed to a crawl.

But I managed to get three coats of wiping poly on two face frames

this weekend. I used satin poly cut roughly in half with mineral

spirits. I like the look. Does that mean I'm done? Oh I'll probably

rub them down in a few days, but what I'm asking is if there's any

reason to add more coats (for protection?) at this point if the "look"

is already what I want.

You're done.

After the second coat you have a finish that will last a lifetime unless it is a bowling ally or highly used table top or other high traffic surface. Poly is so damed tough once that first coat soaks in. the second starts building. That's why when I do wipe, I flood the first coat with a brush, then wiper down.

Splash some water on it, you will answer your own question. It is now plastic.