Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default OT. Street lights revisited ...

In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:
In message , polygonum
writes
In article , polygonum
wrote:
Used to have a Saab turbo 16V - that would do almost all motorway
work in fifth, up hill and down dale, without any noticeable slowing
down. CC really highlighted how other vehicles changed speed a lot. I
guess some of that was drivers not using/having CC, and some simply
car engines not able to make it up hills so apparently effortlessly.

If it will climb any hill in top gear, the gearing's too low for best
MPG.

I can't think of a motorway hill it couldn't manage. It was the turbo
that made a huge difference. Of course, on lesser roads, I needed to
drop from fifth.

I had the ultimate embarrassment: driving a Morgan and being overtaken
by a lorry!

Watford Gap and powered by the old 100E Ford side valve engine with 3
speed gearbox.

I upset a Morgan driver by overtaking him in my Anglia estate going up
Stokenchurch hill on the A40 (c 1970)

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18