Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Curse you, digital calipers!

On 3/18/2013 2:32 PM, Tom Dacon wrote:

So I decided to finally step up into the 21st century, and bought a
4-inch fractional digital caliper from Rockler.

And it's just about useless to me. I've tried to use it, but when the
thing tells me that what I'm measuring is say 55/128ths, there's no way
that my mind can turn that into "just a skosh under 7/16ths". With a
dial caliper, of course, it's obvious. So I go for a 6-inch metal
caliper nowadays, even though I can't carry it around in my pocket like
the little one.

But then yesterday I had reason to measure a router bit shank which I
couldn't tell visually was 3/8th or 8mm, and I got out the digital
caliper. And you guessed it.

The damned battery was dead.

My "go to" caliper, which I use almost every time I walk in the shop, is
indeed an analog, fractional dial caliper.

Handy as an apron pocket ... just too damn big for one.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net