Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default Trouble digging fence post holes...

On 18/03/2013 15:31, Nightjar wrote:
On 18/03/2013 13:55, Andy Champ wrote:
On 18/03/2013 09:52, Nightjar wrote:
Fence posts should be 1/3 underground and 2/3 above ground, so 8" would
be OK for a 16" high fence. If you want the fence to last, use concrete
posts and concrete gravel boards

Doesn't this rather depend on the nature of the ground?

We're on sand here (OK, very sandy soil) and 1/4 underground appears to
be fine. All the failures I have seen have been post rot, not uprooting.

Andy

It is a good rule of thumb, which also assumes that the post is properly
secured for the soil conditions. You can get away with less, but you are
then betting we won't get another Great Storm.

Colin Bignell

Just use slot in post and cheap fence panels - any high wind will blow
out the panels without moving the posts at all

SteveW