Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default OT. Street lights revisited ...

In message , polygonum
writes
In article ,
polygonum wrote:
Used to have a Saab turbo 16V - that would do almost all motorway work
in fifth, up hill and down dale, without any noticeable slowing down. CC
really highlighted how other vehicles changed speed a lot. I guess some
of that was drivers not using/having CC, and some simply car engines not
able to make it up hills so apparently effortlessly.

If it will climb any hill in top gear, the gearing's too low for best MPG.

I can't think of a motorway hill it couldn't manage. It was the turbo
that made a huge difference. Of course, on lesser roads, I needed to
drop from fifth.

I had the ultimate embarrassment: driving a Morgan and being overtaken
by a lorry!

Watford Gap and powered by the old 100E Ford side valve engine with 3
speed gearbox.

--
Tim Lamb