Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback[_3_] Broadback[_3_] is offline

Default OT. Ten percent.

On 18/03/2013 15:49, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Monday, March 18, 2013 3:41:53 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

That should help destroy any remaining confidence in the banks.
Dealers of gold, platinum and palladium will be happy though as people

transfer accounts to the Bank of Mattress.

Now the question is:

1) Will there be a run on the banks in Cyprus;

A run on the banks in terms of ordinary people wanting cash is one thing.

But what is to stop the rich Russians etc. that they are really targeting from moving their money to other banks ?
I suppose a lot of it may be in limited access deposits, but if the government orders the banks to freeze the assets that would be a whole other thing.

Simon.

It is always the thrifty who suffer. governments pay lip service to
getting peeps to save. Then they take care that savers loose out. If
inflation is higher than interest rates, it is. this government is
subsidising banks ( so that they can pay bonuses?) out of taxpayers
money. This had depressed interest rates below their real %, so savers
loose. Yet still we vote according to a politicians party. The fact
that, for example, Stoke on Trent Council are running the city to the
ground yet still the population vote Labour. In a democracy you get the
government you deserve.