Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default OT. Street lights revisited ...

On 18/03/2013 15:29, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:47:11 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
Used to have a Saab turbo 16V - that would do almost all motorway work
in fifth, up hill and down dale, without any noticeable slowing down.
CC really highlighted how other vehicles changed speed a lot. I guess
some of that was drivers not using/having CC, and some simply car
engines not able to make it up hills so apparently effortlessly.

If it will climb any hill in top gear, the gearing's too low for best
MPG.

Really cruise control is best served with an automatic box

Actually, I found that with the Saab, it worked pretty well (was
manual), but that was because fifth was so capable. I can't help but
think that the optimum combination would be a CVT with CC. (Shame so few
CVTs seem to be much good other than in 'shoppers'.)

--
Rod