Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default So when is the finishing finished?

Greg Guarino wrote:
Life has gotten busy and my bookcase project has slowed to a crawl.
But I managed to get three coats of wiping poly on two face frames
this weekend. I used satin poly cut roughly in half with mineral
spirits. I like the look. Does that mean I'm done? Oh I'll probably
rub them down in a few days, but what I'm asking is if there's any
reason to add more coats (for protection?) at this point if the "look"
is already what I want.

Wiping varnish is thin naturally and three even more thinned coats doesn't
afford much protection; however, a bookcase doesn't *need* much protection
so stop when you like it.

FWIW, I figure four coats of unthinned oil poly for floors, three for
anything else that gets some wear. With brushing lacquer I usually use
three, sand heavily and then two more. For outside stuff with alkyd
varnish, 6-7.

--

dadiOH