Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water pipe "upgrade"

On 3/17/2013 9:31 PM, wrote:
On Mar 17, 8:48 pm, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
On 3/17/2013 6:36 PM, wrote:

Hello all,

House has got a 3/4 copper running from the meter to just a few feet
under the crawl space. It then reduced to a 1/2 inch.

Pressure and flow is there but a hair weak when I had more than one
faucet running. Is it worth it to upsize the accessible part of the
piping with 3/4? Some were ran behind the walls, Don't want to tear
out the wall and replace the 1/2 in. behind it.

So, it will end up with 3/4 for most, reduced it to 1/2 just before it
disappears behind the walls.

thanks
richard

Richard, have you checked your water pressure? Is the 1/2" pipe copper
or galvanized iron? I've seen a number of older homes that had the water
line from the meter replaced with a 3/4" copper but hooked into older
iron pipe that contained flow restricting deposits. A bit more
information about your situation would help and someone here may have
replaced their older 1/2" pipe with the more modern PEX tubing and tell
you how they did it. ^_^

TDD

Service from meter was recently replaced (galvanized to 3/4 copper) -
not much pipe left with all the deposit. In the crawl space is where
the 1/2 copper lines are (it came that way with the house).

Pressure is good on the 3/4 side or when only 1 faucet is running. A
little weak when another is opened.

Most pressure regulators for home use in The U.S. are factory set to
50psi and can be adjusted up or down as you choose. I always recommend
a pressure regulator on domestic potable water supplies to homes and
businesses because of the damage pressure spikes can do to the water
heater and its TP safety, the toilet float valve and the sink faucets.
You didn't mention a pressure regulator or what your actual water
pressure happens to be. You can replace the 1/2" copper with PEX tubing
which I believe would give you more flow but I'm curious as to what your
water pressure is as measured in psi. o_O

http://www.watts.com/pages/_products...ls.asp?pid=776

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-4...IWTG/100175467

http://tinyurl.com/bn8jmnt

TDD