Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Something to consider when building a deck where it snows...

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:41:29 -0700 (PDT), jamesgang
wrote:

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:33:00 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Everytime I shovel the snow off of my deck, I keep (mentally) kicking myself for not including a removable section of railing. I swear that if I ever replace the railing I will add that feature. My deck is about 6 feet off the ground. Access to the deck from the ground is via stairs to a landing, then a left hand turn onto the deck. To shovel the deck (for the dogs, for grilling, for access to the back yard, etc.) I have to lift the snow and throw it over the railing. If I had a removable section, or even a gate, I could just push the snow off and eliminate the lifting. The current design of the railing precludes the installation of a gate or a removable section. One of these days...one of these days.

Build your deck railing with both a bottom and top rail with the balusters between them and a gap of 4 inches or so under the bottom rail.

Still pretty hard to remove 10 inches of wet snow.