Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water pipe "upgrade"

On 3/17/2013 6:36 PM, wrote:
Hello all,

House has got a 3/4 copper running from the meter to just a few feet
under the crawl space. It then reduced to a 1/2 inch.

Pressure and flow is there but a hair weak when I had more than one
faucet running. Is it worth it to upsize the accessible part of the
piping with 3/4? Some were ran behind the walls, Don't want to tear
out the wall and replace the 1/2 in. behind it.

So, it will end up with 3/4 for most, reduced it to 1/2 just before it
disappears behind the walls.

thanks
richard

Richard, have you checked your water pressure? Is the 1/2" pipe copper
or galvanized iron? I've seen a number of older homes that had the water
line from the meter replaced with a 3/4" copper but hooked into older
iron pipe that contained flow restricting deposits. A bit more
information about your situation would help and someone here may have
replaced their older 1/2" pipe with the more modern PEX tubing and tell
you how they did it. ^_^

TDD