Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FINALLY got the HF Miter Saw

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 08:37:44 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

The 12" double-bevel, sliding one.

Got it unpacked and installed last night. My initial impressions a

* It's built like a tank. VERY sturdy. Sucker weighs over 50 pounds!

Weight doesn't mean much.

* It DOES have fine adjustments for setting up and guaranteeing precision
cuts.

How well does it *STAY* in adjustment.

* I can understand why it doesn't have a blade-brake. Spinning a 12" blade
at 3,800 rpm generates a LOT of momentum. To stop that much mass from
rotating would take the disk brakes off a Porsche.

Nonsense. A blade brake doesn't have to be a mechanical brake. My
Bosch doesn't have discs, either.

* Complaints about the dust collector bag being insufficient are probably
well founded. Seemingly, the bag only catches sawdust that happens to get
flung in its direction. I suppose for really good results, you would hook up
the saw to your shop dust collector.

Those bags are pretty lame (even the Bosch). They're added so they
can have the marketing check box. A DC doesn't do much more, though.
The sawdust comes off the blade pretty fast. If it's not already
moving towards the port, it's not going in.

I haven't actually CUT anything yet, so I can't report on that. Heck, the
thing looks so pretty, I may NEVER use it. But if and when I do, I have
every expectation that it will work as advertised.

I'm sure it'll cut. ;-)

The saw is on sale today (Saturday, 3/9/2013) and tomorrow for $119.00 at
your local HF store. That is, if they have any left; on Friday, a clerk told
me it was a very popular item and going fast.

Here's the specs:
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-doub...ide-69684.html

Don't put your eye out!