Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Machine Gun Parts kits

"Pete C." wrote in message ...

RogerN wrote:

I have read that, according to some, if you have machine gun parts you
can
go to prison for trying to build a machine gun. If that's so, how to
they
sell machine gun parts kits?

"Constructive intent" or some such. If you have all the parts to
assemble into what would be an NFA firearm and don't have the tax stamp
to go with it you are presumed to have the intent to assemble them into
an illegal firearm. If you say have a set of full auto internals for an
M16 and do not have a firearm to install them into (no AR type
receivers) you are legal since you don't have the complete set of parts
to produce what would be an illegal firearm.

http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net/~ch...s/zm300-15.JPG

The auto sear, on the left in this picture of an M-16 receiver, won't fit an
AR receiver because the AR receiver is left thick above the selector detent.
Also, the AR receiver doesn't have the pin hole for the auto sear. A person
couldn't assemble the M-16 auto parts in an AR receiver to make a machine
gun unless they milled above the select fire detent and drilled the pin
hole. A person could use them to make a machine gun if they had a M-16
receiver but the AR receiver would require modification.

Full auto however is pretty pointless for an individual weapon and just
wastes valuable ammunition. FA is for "crew served" weapons with a
military supply line backing them for an ammo supply.

Exactly, that's why, other than it's illegal, I don't want to build a
machine gun. I'd build one if it was legal but it would be too expensive to
shoot very much in auto. Currently I have an M16 parts kit but I have no
AR-15 lowers completed yet. I have a lower parts kit for an AR-15 to use in
my lower that I have to machine, I just have to find out if possessing a
complete AR-15 lower, with no full auto parts, makes it illegal to have the
machine gun parts kit.

I bought an M-16 parts kit with the intent to build a legal AR-15. I just
don't want be accused of intention to build a machine gun just because I
have the parts that came in the parts kit. I don't and won't have a
receiver that the parts will fit in. Even if this country came down to a
civil war or revolution, the sound of machine gun fire would make a target
out of the person with the machine gun. They need to make game calls with
the sound of machine gun fire to draw the attention away from the gun
owners!

RogerN