Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default Happy days

woodchucker wrote:
On 3/17/2013 9:48 AM, Leon wrote:
Larry wrote:

As a side note I have always wanted a nice work bench
however this crude looking set up seems to fill the bill
and does not take up much space when knocked down.

You can kinda sorta see it here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8536729515/

You probably can't afford a nice workbench after buying all of
those parallel clamps at ~$40 each... ;o)

Larry

I got the Cabinet Master clamps for about $17 each so I loaded up.. This
was several years ago when the screw clamp end was made from aluminum.
Jorgensen switched to cast iron when the aluminum failed. With a lifetime
guarantee all 10 clamp ends were replaced for free. No problems sense.

Me too from Woodcraft on a special. bought 4 of each size.
Mine have not failed, didn't know the reason for the black ones?
What caused the aluminum to fail?
Did yours fail or you were just pre-emptive?

They were failing on one at a time and they replaced them one by one for
the first three. Next two failed and they asked how many more aluminum ones
that I had and they decided to replace the rest and be done with it.

They replaced 2 iron ones because of a gritty feel when you tightened the
clamp down. I later discovered that a drop of oil internally where the
swivel pad is attached to the screw makes them work like new again.