Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default Machine Gun Parts kits

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
I have read that, according to some, if you have machine gun parts you can
go to prison for trying to build a machine gun. If that's so, how to they
sell machine gun parts kits?

I'm in process of building an AR-15 and am curious, from what I see, the
M16 lower receiver is different than an AR-15 lower receiver. M16
full-auto parts installed in an AR-15 won't make a machine gun because
there is no hole for the auto-sear and the area is milled different, no
room for the auto sear. So, in an AR-15 receiver, all the full auto parts
that you could fit would let it work normally in safe and semi, but Auto
would only let the hammer follow the bolt forward and you would have to
pull the "Charging handle" to re-cock the hammer. It seems everything
except the auto-sear would work in an AR-15 for safe and semi, selecting
full auto would only let the hammer down without firing.

To me, it seems that jailing someone for having some machine gun part,
that work fine in an AR-15's, is kind of like throwing a man in jail for
rape because he has a penis. Or giving everyone a speeding ticket because
their car is capable of speeding. Crazy!

RogerN

To clarify, it is not any M-16 parts, it is 5 specific parts, mostly the
trigger group and the bolt carrier.

When installed in an AR receiver it can be easily converted to full auto
with a drop in auto sear. At that point it comes under the NFA definition.

Luckily, you are able to adapt the M-16 parts to legal.
http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/AR15-M16Parts/

Personally, I would pitch out and replace the selector lever and bolt
carrier as they would be a pain in the ass to adapt. The rest would involve
grinding the hook off the hammer, welding up the end of the groove in the
trigger and cutting off the projection on the end of the disconnector.

However, Roger, if I were you, I would spend less time trying to scam the
NFA and more time trying to figure out how to get your tools out of your
mother's garage.

Paul K. Dickman