Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Lighting question

DerbyDad03 wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I didn't think so. So why are you pushing back on my suggestion that
he contact an "expert" and ask them what they recommend? If
different bulbs will make the table "look" different, why not ask
someone who deals with it every day?

Because it simply isn't rocket science. OP thought his table was
underlighted. The solution is to increase the light. One increases
the light via higher wattage bulbs or by adding fixtures.

Different bulbs won't make the table look different; different light
sources may but that difference will be subtle, his eyes would adapt
to it and the difference would only be from sources he is unlikely
to choose with the exception of flourescent.

As I said, it isn't rocket science so why turn a simple
problem/solution into something complicated? I really don't care if
he contacts a whole *FLOCK* of experts, just seems silly. At some
point, people really need to think for themselves and exercise some
common sense.

FWIW, HTH & HAND

Did you read Tomsic's response to your post? There's a lot more meat
to that response than simply saying "raise the fixtures and put in
any bulb you want."

Yes, I read it. There was more meat in my *first* response to Steve too.
Including foot candles. I didn't dwell on foot candles because it is
unlikely Steve would have any way of measuring it; the simplest way to
handle it is to simply increase wattage and/or fixtures until the intensity
is satisfactory.

Tomsic's main thrust was "providing a suitable amount and distribution of
light on the table along with good color". Same as my first post.

He suggested a 4' fluorescent. That would give decent coverage; however,
all fluorescents are deficient in red; that might or might not bother Steve.
It would bother me.

If Steve is not inclined to buy another fixture(s), raising his current one
will increase the coverage; it will also diminish the light intensity at the
table surface; ergo, increase wattage. An option I suggested originally.

I suspect that Steve was looking for the type of details that Tomsic
provided. Not rocket science, illumination science.

So you think a salesman or CS rep at a billiard store is going to be versed
in the physics of light? hehehe

--

dadiOH