Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
JosephKK JosephKK is offline

Default How do you drill through stainless steel at home?

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 01:25:53 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 15:27:27 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Form follows function.

This is an important point!

begin embarrassing truth

First, I tried shoe goop + leather strips. Disaster.
Luckily, the shoe goop cleaned off the stainless perfectly.

Then I tried rubber strips (made by cutting a 26"
length of bicycle tube strips about 1/2" wide.
Wouldn't stay on even though I used glue (it unwound
while the glue was setting.

Then, in frustration, I simply used electrical tape
and hanging wire! Butt ugly!

But, as Jeff said, form follows function ...
And, as Oren is fond of saying, "looks fine from far away!".

Here's a picture of the abomination!
(Drilling would have been prettier!).

Notice the Ballantine Church Key from the 60s' next to it.
At least they had holes in the ends way back then.

I'll probably unwrap the electrical tape when I find
something better - but - for now - it should work
(but it's fuuuugly).

Personally, i like both leather and SS. If you get a machinist to mill in
three 1/4 inch wide hex portions and wrap with wide spaced wet leather
strips it not only would work but be beautiful and last a decade or more.
Then just remove the old leather, clean thoroughly and do the leather
again.

?-)