Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Anvil sold

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 13:04:14 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

Thanks for all the advice from this group on selling my anvil (502 lb. 'bridge' or 'railroad' anvil). I think it was Gunner who kindly listed some anvil prices which encouraged me to aim high in my sale.

Started on Craigslist at $2,200, dropped to $2,100 and eventually accepted $1,600 cash. I did have an offer for $1,800 but the lower offer went to a much better home (some 700 miles away). It will be used in a more historical sense and available to the public to view.

As an aside, I did mention that it had no markings. Research (by the buyer) indicates that 'railroad' anvils were typically cast by the foundry nearest the railroad yard and ergo there was no reason to brand them since they were never going to be exposed to the retail market. "Nearest foundry" was used probably because of the weight. Kind of makes sense and is believable.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments and the support from this group. BTW, I never did get to use the anvil. Striking it rings out with an F# tone (octave above middle C) with a long sustain. I will be using it as my ringtone for my phone. While it sold for less than 'top price', I did only pay $0.20 per pound when I purchased it at a scrap yard.

Ivan Vegvary

You did very well indeed!

Gunner, who yesterday sold an unused HF Russian made 110lb anvil for
a $100 bill...and it was still replete with the HF stickers. He
however did remove the $89 price tag.

1. Lie