Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Martin Bob Martin is offline

Default OT. Street lights revisited ...

in 1212818 20130316 165459 "ARW" wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
in 1212518 20130315 115638 Nightjar
wrote:
On 15/03/2013 08:52, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 15/03/2013 01:41, Arfa Daily wrote:
A very interesting reference document. It is now in my
favourites. As to driving in the dark, I think a lot depends
on your age. I don't know if it is a general physical
degradation in your night time vision, or just a perceived
thing. What I do know is that I am a lot less comfortable now
driving in the dark, than I was 20 years ago....

It is age related. I read somewhere that, by the time you are
80, you have night vision equivalent to a 20 year old wearing
dark sunglasses.

Colin Bignell

Considering that many people drive well into their 70s now, I
wonder whether this factor is taken into consideration when
designing these 'new' lighting systems ? It would be interesting
for the night-time accident studies to look into the ages of the
victims. Do you have any reference for for your 'sunglasses'
nugget ?

Unfortunately, I don't now recall where I read it.

I used to enjoy driving at night, but for the last few years (I'm
nearly 72) I have found it extremely difficult, even though my
optician says my eyes are fine for driving.

I am nearly 72?

OK, I'm seventy-one-and-three-quarters ;-)