Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

Default Dimensionally Stable Metal

On Mar 15, 7:55*pm, James Waldby wrote:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:34:04 -0700,Searcher7wrote:
On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:59:26 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote:
But I have to mention that the camera will need to be
at the end of a boom. The pivot radius will probably
be in the neighborhood of 12 feet. (I don’t know the
mathematically formula off hand, but isn’t that almost
14 feet between the far right and far left images taken?).
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
And this boom doesn't sag, vibrate or expand with temperature?

Yes, of course. That is why it will have to be supported at both ends
and the reason for the initial question concerning what material to use..

The reason for the boom is to keep the realistic 3d aspect of the scene sweep.

The detents whould probably be where the camera is as opposed to the axis location.

It would save time and you will get more and better help if you
write a clear and complete description of what you are trying to do
and the general idea of how you plan to do it. *Do you have some
reason to not describe what you are trying to do and the general
idea of how you plan to do it?

At the moment it appears you plan to have a horizontal 12-foot boom
pivoted at one end, and a quadrant of a 12-foot curved ring with
detents to set boom positions to quarter-degree resolution, and
there will be a camera mounted on the boom above the detents ring.

Will the camera point in, or out? *If it points out and you plan to
make ordinary panoramic pictures, the center of perspective in the
camera should be located directly above the center of rotation.
See the section called "Capturing the images" in [1] or "Using a
panoramic tripod head" in the second half of [2] or the section
"BACKGROUND: PARALLAX ERROR & USING A PANORAMIC HEAD" in [3].

If it points in and you plan to make Matrix-style photo or slo-mo of
a moving subject as in [4] then accurate time synchronization probably
is more important than physical location, although few details are
available publicly.

[1] http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/cse131/12sp/applets/pr...
[2] http://commonsensephotography.com/how_to_take_digital_panoramas/index...
[3] http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-panoramas.htm
[4] http://smokingstrobes.com/matrixring

--
jiw

There are no additional details to cover.

I don't need design plans, which I'm still working on, and I did say
the intent was to take pics of the horizon, so this has nothing top do
with "Matrix-style" photos. The original question concerned what
material to use.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.