Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Happy days

On 3/16/2013 9:35 AM, Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 03/16/2013 07:13 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/16/2013 2:05 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Finally convinced my wife that I deserve the double garage for my shop
and will soon be moving out of the single stall I now call home. This
means a fixed location for most of my machinery, especially the TS
(soon to be equipped with a fixed outfeed table). Need to do the prep
work first -- power distribution and lighting and a good plan for dust
collection. Want to minimize wires on the floor and all the other
crap that gets in the way of my feet.

Larry (48 days to retirement, but who's counting?)

Might I suggest putting every thing on a mobile base. I operated out of
a 2 car garage for 30 years and when more equipment that ended up on
mobile bases the more functional the shop became. I am now in a 3 car
garage and believe even more strongly in mobile bases.

I often erect a 4'x 8' break down work surface. a permanently placed
table saw would cramp working quarters. STILL there is no "best place"
for the table depending on the type cut.

Leon,

Do use a 4' x 8' web of 1xfours or 2xfours or a panel covered with
styrofoam?

Actually I have a couple of the light weight plastic saw horses that I
have had for several years. I have 2, 8' 2x4' running over them with
notches to lock on top of the saw horses. Then 4, 3.5' 2x4s evenly
spaced and half lapped with the long 2x4s. Shockingly sturdy, I have
had in excess of 8 sheets of plywood/MDF on top.

Normally I have a couple of half sheets of 3/4" plywood on top of the
2x4s to serve as a work surface. 2 halves are easier to move around. I
typically set this up in about 2~3 minutes.

When bringing new sheet goods into the shop I will leave the half sheets
of ply wood off and stack the new plywood directly out of the truck on
to the 2x4 grid. Last sheet gets a sheet of insulating styrofoam below
it. ;~) I then cut the sheets into manageable sizes and or finished
sizes. Using my Woodpeckers Deluxe 4' Story Stick I get very accurate
cuts with the track saw. Last sheet gets cut directly on top of the 2x4s.

As a side note I have always wanted a nice work bench however this crude
looking set up seems to fill the bill and does not take up much space
when knocked down.

You can kinda sorta see it here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8536729515/