Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default OT. Street lights revisited ...

On 15/03/2013 08:52, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 15/03/2013 01:41, Arfa Daily wrote:
A very interesting reference document. It is now in my favourites. As to
driving in the dark, I think a lot depends on your age. I don't know if
it is a general physical degradation in your night time vision, or just
a perceived thing. What I do know is that I am a lot less comfortable
now driving in the dark, than I was 20 years ago....

It is age related. I read somewhere that, by the time you are 80, you
have night vision equivalent to a 20 year old wearing dark sunglasses.

Colin Bignell

Considering that many people drive well into their 70s now, I wonder
whether this factor is taken into consideration when designing these
'new' lighting systems ? It would be interesting for the night-time
accident studies to look into the ages of the victims. Do you have any
reference for for your 'sunglasses' nugget ?

Unfortunately, I don't now recall where I read it.

Colin Bignell