Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default OT. Street lights revisited ...

On 14/03/2013 10:39, Tim+ wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:27:40 -0000, ARW wrote:

In law, the correct term is a restricted road and, as you say, it is
the provision of a 'system of street lighting' at the specified
spacing that makes it a restricted road. A system of street lighting
is deemed to be three or more lights.

You have managed to word that better than any website I have ever seen.

Aye, I've always wondered what constitutes "street lighting". Some small
places around here have just one or two lights at less than 183m...

I have a feeling that speed awareness courses are dumbed-down after
listening to some of the feedback from people who have been on them.

Well of course they have, the easy "street lights = 30mph" rule is simple
enough for the dumb fuppers that get caught speeding to understand. B-)

The type of road, the vehicle you are driving, and street lights (as
defined) should be all the information you need to know what the speed
limit is. If the speed limit varies from that there *must* be repeater
boards every few hundred metres.

I've driven on plenty of urban dual carriageways where the repeaters seem
to be at least a half mile apart. Certain it feels like they're too far
apart.

What's the legally required interval for repeaters?

Legally, 'at regular intervals'.

The DfT issued Traffic Advisory Leaflet 1/95 in 1995 giving recommended
spacings, but they are not legally enforceable. The distance varies from
400m for a 30mph limit to 900m for a 70mph limit, where consecutive
signs are on the same side of the road and from 250m to 600m, where they
are staggered on opposite sides of the road.

Colin Bignell