Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_7_] Carl Ijames[_7_] is offline

Default Metalworking!

Clamp rod in vise small enough that the ends stick out past the jaws (or
clamp it down into a vee block to the table) with the long axis aligned with
the long dimension of the mill table, and cut across each end with a keyseat
cutter. No realignment or repositioning of the rod needed between cuts.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
"Doug White" wrote in message

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
Is that the only good way? Any other clever ideas? Any good excuse
buy a new tool?

Doug White

If you are looking for new toys you could consider a small toolmaker's
insert vise to clamp the part with both ends accessible.
http://www.travers.com/product.asp?r...ol+Accessories
%7C%7CVises-Machine&eaprodid=80084-61-410-050

The outside of the vise is precision ground to serve as reference
surfaces when you clamp it in a larger vise. They are especially handy
for milling at the precise angles you can set up with in an angle
block kit:
http://www.travers.com/product.asp?r=s&n=||UserSearch%3Dangle+block&eap
rodid=40600%2D57%2D020%2D224

Thanks. I actually have the poor man's version, which is a small
Palmgren vise I trued up. That would work, but I think the Vee block is
still the winner.

Doug White