Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Thinking of getting a new TS, Right tilt or Left tilt?

Any thoughts from SawStop or Laguna owner/users?

I have the SS Pro. Fit\finish pretty good. I think the extension table attachment could be improved. Kinda have to tweak it to get super even to table and then it needs adjust after time. My table isn't bolted down and isn't supposed to be mobile but I think that movement is what makes the table go out.

My right extension table is not perfectly flush with the saw table
either and for the past 14 or so years that has not mattered, it is
close enough to not affect cuts.

I got an e-mail from the SawStop people concerning the right table
extension legs. He indicated that the legs are there strictly to
prevent some one from leaning on the table and tipping the saw. Other
wise they are not needed. I was always under the impression that they
were to help support the right table extension. I went to a local
dealer today and gave this a test. I lifted the end of the Industrial
unit. Let me rephrase that, I attempted to lift the table extension.
With one arm I tried to lift the table extension to see if I could feel
any give or play in the table. I felt absolutely no movement at all,
not a hint of wiggle at all. It was like the legs were bolted to the
floor. I am quite certain that the legs were tightened down to the
floor more than necessary so I believe that they and the fence rails
were carrying a lot of the weight of that 700lb+ saw.

Set blade and fence sq once. Checked it a few times but has remained sq enough with lots of abuse and haven't had to readjust.

Good to know.

I like how easy the the riv knife assembly goes in and out when you need to do dados, etc. I like how easy it is to leave the blade guard in-place, it works well with no probs. I like how well the motor box hinges open easily (read Unisaw not). The dust collection is OK but I have to vacuum out the bottom now and then after lots of run.

I have played with that feature and it certainly would not be an excuse
to not replace the riving knife after cutting a dado.

If I was a cabinet guy doing sheet work that could use a scoring blade and sliding table I would consider the Laguna but for me, furniture, I use sa precision cross sled and wouldn't use the slider anyway.

I find that simply running the panel through with the blade raised 1/8"
and then raising the blade and running the panel through again creates
the same results as a scoring knife when simply cross cutting panels. I
currently use an MJ splitter and it works well when I remember to
replace it after making a scoring cut but a couple of weeks ago I
neglected to replace it when making the through cut and had a situation
occur. No harm this time, it was not a surprise and I was ready for it
but a scoring knife would solve 99% of those problems.

Thanks for the feedback.