Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Lighting question

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 07:42:53 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

No reason to worry about "spectrum" or "Kelvin". Kelvin is just a way
of
descriping the color of the light - lower numbers are redder, higher
ones
bluer - and spectrum refers to the colors within the light.

Your incandescent lights are around 2800-3000 Kelvin (sunlight is
around
5000-5500) and emit all colors. Personally, I like incandescent light
for
most artificial lighting; fluorescent gives you more bang for the watt
but
it is deficient in red and seems to suck the life out of things.

What you should be interested in is foot candles - how much light is
falling
on a square foot - and evenness of coverage.

I have to disagree. Color can be very important, especially with a
green pool table and colored balls. I'd lean towards a warmer color
though and avoid anything too blue.

Yes, the foot candles is important too, but Steve is more interested
in ambiance and visibility.

I want the right light so that I can make more shots. So far, none of
these
are as good as that little 4 halogen light that came from HD, which we
took
down. Four of the two pin halogens seemed pretty close. Guess I gotta
experiment, then go looking or build something.

Steve

Why aren't you contacting a billiards lighting supply house like I
suggested in my earlier response?

Seems to me like you are intent on reinventing the wheel. You don't have
buy from them but you could gather the specs and then take it from there.

Well, I looked, and everyone is selling pool table lights, not just the
bulbs. Didn't find any articles on the technical aspects of the lighting.

Steve