Dave Liquorice

Default should unswitched live should as live on a neon screwdriver?

On 16 Nov 2003 02:03:57 -0800, dave L wrote:

Can you explain how to use a shunt resistor in this context ?

However what I thought they meant was that I get a 0.1 ohm resistor
and wire it up between the live and neutral terminals of the pendant
and then measure the current that flows across the resistor. By my
maths (I=V/R = 240/0.1) this would measure (um) 2400A. I'm *know*
that's not what I want to do.

Certainly. B-)

You need to choose a value that won't drawn exceesive current if you
connect it across the full supply by accident but will draw enough to
generate better readings on open circuit cables.

Whatever the method, if it does inolve measuring the current then I
need to head to Maplin as my multimeter doesn't measure AC current
(Gunson Pocketmeter2).

Generally you rarely need to measure current. Most times you are only
interested in the voltage.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail