Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT. Street lights revisited ...

Nightjar wrote:
On 13/03/2013 09:41, fred wrote:
On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:50:43 AM UTC, Nightjar wrote:
On 13/03/2013 02:28, Arfa Daily wrote:

Has anyone got any long-term experience of LED street light
replacements ? They've just started replacing all the lamposts
in my street, with a lot fewer - and 2 metre taller - lamposts
fitted with LED luminaires. ...

If they have increased the spacing, you might want to check that
it is still no more than 183 metres. If the spacing is greater
than that, it makes a 30mph speed limit unenforceable, unless
they fit repeater signs along the road.

I thought that idea had been done away with, no ?

It was eliminated in the Republic of Ireland, and at the same time
the placement of speed limits into the hands of brain dead morons
at the beck and call of local idiots.

It still applies in England and Wales, where the spacing is 183
metres, and Scotland, where the spacing is 185 metres.

It is utterly arcane. Varying speed limits with no indication
whatsoever of what limit is in operation in a particular area apart
from the initial signs.

The street lights are the indication. Anything other than 30mph in a
built up area has to be signed with repeaters.

And you would not believe how many people I know that have been on a speed
awarness course now seems to think that there is a 30MPH speed limit
wherever there are streetlights!

BTW is it not the streetlights that define "built up" and not the presence
of any houses?

--
Adam