Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Ford car stereo F87F-18C815-BB drains car battery.

I was given this Ford F87F-18C815-BB factory tuner/cd player to see why it's
draining the car battery to the point where the car won't start. It has
already been removed from the car. I found the pin outs he
http://carstereohelp.net/wireharness_Ford1.htm According to the owner, only
the antenna and J1 were being used. By the way, since the radio has been
removed from the car, the battery does not abnormally discharge.

It's been a while since I've powered up a car stereo. Do I need 12V on pin 3
(start), pin 4 (clock), pin 9 (battery), pin 10 (run:acc)? Is the "clock"
the actual time of day display or is it the internal clock for the system
processor(s)? Are pins 1 and 2 (illum +/-) just the 12V input that power
whatever accessory lights there are? Can that be jumpered to the 12V line as
well? Is it ok to common ground the illum - pin to pin 11 (radio
gnd)?Basically I want to begin by putting it in standby mode and measuring
the current. Also, does anyone know where to get a schematic for this unit?

Thanks for your replies.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA