Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sump pump exterior hose

On Mar 11, 4:33*pm, "pacca" wrote:
i have a sump that empties outside ,the pipe out of the house is 1 *1/4
inch,i have 1 inch & quarter *hose running 50 feet out ,but in the winter it
freezes up,is there any way to connect a 3" flexible pipe to 1 1/4" to the
pipe that runs out of the house,a 1 1/4 adapter that converts to 3"
flexible.I'm thinking that a 3" might not freeze up as easily.I'm too old
with health problems to dig a trench to bury the hose.Thanks

3" flexible pipe? I think you mean the 4" black corrugated
pipe that's typically used to extend gutter leaders? If the
grade slopes away, which it should, why can't you just
run the 1 1/4" pipe inside the 4" for 4 ft or so, without
any fittings? Far enough into it that water does not
come back out the near end.

But I'm betting the real problem is that it's not graded
correctly and there is a low spot. Otherwise I'd think
the 1 1/4" pipe would drain and freezing would not be
a problem. Even if some small amount of ice did
result, next time the pump ejects water, it should melt
it. If there is a significant low spot, then the 4" pipe
will freeze up too.