Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Yamaha RX-V992 won't power on

"Bob E." wrote in message
I removed the temporary jumper from across the relay contacts. And:

I've just had a squint at the schems for a couple of models from the same
series, and the cap is called C4 on one of them, and C405 on another. I
also
have a note on the diagram saying that it's called C3015 on yet another
version.
Arfa

Let's talk function and not label... The obvious "pink cap" (0.01 uF/50v)
is
across the ~12v secondary of the small transformer near the AC input. It
is
an AC filter cap. I measured 4 vac across it. Replaced with a mylar and
it's
a reasonable 12 v now.

Here's that little PCB:

http://www.tinyuploads.com/images/8O0dYH.jpg

I replaced C312.

Any other suggestions?

The supercap (0.047F / 5.5v) on one of the function PCBs is obviously
leaking
and corroded. I removed it (it caused no further damage to the PCB) and
will
get a replacement today. Shouldn't the unit boot if this was the cause of
pulling down the 5v line (I'm guessing at this -- haven't found it in the
schematic so don't know what, exactly, it's hooked to...)?

Symptoms remain unchanged with new filter cap and removed super cap.

Ideas welcome.

Thanks.

OK. You can forget everything that I said, looking at that schematic. It's
not the sub pcb that I was expecting. Many of these Yammy AV amps have an
'eco' sub pcb, and there is a polyester cap on them used as a wattless
dropper. It is very common for this cap to lose value, and you then get
symptoms in those amps, very similar to what you are describing. Sorry to
have misled you ...

Arfa