Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do you drill through stainless steel at home?

On 3/10/2013 8:10 PM, Gunner wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 19:48:52 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 3/10/2013 12:38 PM, Gunner wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 05:13:43 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 3/10/2013 2:20 AM, Gunner wrote:
On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 17:28:53 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 09:21:29 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
1. Do you have a bench grinder?
2. Shrink tube and rope.
3. Do a knife handle wrap.
4. Chinese finger trap.
5. Compression fitting.
6. Capacitive discharge spot welding

Hi Jeff,
Actually every one of those would work!

You're very clever (we should invite you to our weekly
"inventor's lunch" up in Palo Alto on Wednesdays).

I've been needing to buy a bench grinder for years,
so, maybe I'll use this as my need-based tooling!

BTW, the chinese-finger-trap seems the most clever!

I have some Cable Hangers..which are a finger trap secured to a 1/2"
conduit threaded connector. For hanging drops from the center hole of
a blank 4x box cover. Might be easily converted to this use. They
finger trap is made from steel cable (not stainless unfortunately)

Gunner

You may be thinking of Kellem Grips. I've used them for years to pull
wire through conduit or installed them as cord grips. The things work
like Chinese Finger Puzzles. ^_^

http://www.jharlen.com/hubbel033041092.html

TDD

Those I have several sizes of. The overhead cable thingies are of the
same type, with a threaded bit of pipe nipple attached .

Want a photo?

Gunner

I was selling the stuff 40 years ago when I worked for an electrical
supply company. I used one a while back to fix a problem for a pizza
place where the kept ripping the outlet out of the wall for their prep
table every time they moved it to clean the floor. I removed the outlet
and installed an hospital grade cord body with a pigtail of 12/3 SO cord
anchored to the wall with a Kellem Grip which would allow the plug to
simply pull straight out of the cord body without damage. I also use the
grips to hang power cords from the ceiling in the middle of shop floors.
^_^

TDD

Good man, then you have seen them before. Thanks for letting me know
what they are called. I always called them Finger Puzzle cable grips
and the guys at the will call desk knew what I was talking about.

Gunner

You can use them as a come along for prisoners too by slipping them over
their fingers or thumbs. ^_^

TDD