Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Neat Hold Down

On 3/10/2013 6:17 PM, willshak wrote:
-MIKE- wrote the following on 3/8/2013 1:05 AM (ET):
On 3/7/13 9:30 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Enjoy

Lew
------------------------------

http://tinyurl.com/ar3tcwm

I like their tips but they all seem to speak the same horrible
language pet-peeve of mine.
"Next we're going to 'go ahead and'....."
WTF is "go ahead and?"
And they say it for everything they do. Drives me nuts.

Me too. It seems like a southern US thing.
"We're going to go ahead and..:". To me, that means we're going to skip
the next step while it has to cure, dry, get cooler, etc., and we'll
come back to that step that we went ahead on.
It's like "...get ahold of..". It's either "get hold of", or .."get a
hold on..."

I believe it is part of much of the older US dialect, Much like the (I
believe) obsolete term "I am a fixin to"

I have heard my grandparents and my parents in northern Indiana say many
times "go ahead and" do something.

I have always interpreted it as yes we are not currently finished with
what we are doing but we are going to start something new. The
something that is not finished, may not be well defined.

The US dialect is strongly influenced but the construction of other
language, such as German. In in some areas I find it is nearly as common
too put the verb at the end of the sentence as done in German, as its
position in English.

You should enjoy the peculiarities our US Dialect of the English
language, and use them to understand the United States rather than
cursing them.