Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default What size wiring for Central A/C compressor?

On 3/9/2013 5:09 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 07:13:47 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Mar 9, 9:19 am, wrote:
Mikepier wrote:

Just an observation, but none of the devices offered on this website are UL
approved. They claim to meet "all NEC requirements for optional standby
systems (Article 702)," but that's easy to say.- Hide quoted text -

They go a bit further than that. They have the test reports that show
that they have been tested for use as accessories with UL 67 listed
panelboards.
What exactly that means in regard to making them code compliant
when put on a panel, I don't know. This issue is why I recommended
going with an interlock from the actual panel manufacturer, if one is
available. That way you know there is no issue. From some
discussions
I've seen online it looks like people are using the Interlockit
product.
How many of those are actually inspected, do some inspectors have
issues with it, IDK. Given that it's just a piece of metal, has no
direct
involvement with the electricity, obviously does what it' intended to
do,
I'd have no problem using it from a safety standpoint. But it would be
a bitch to buy it, install it and have it rejected. I guess best
thing
would be to take a print out of the info, including their test report,
over
to the inspector and ask before buying. Especially if you're in an
area
that tends to be tougher.

I have mixed emotions on the interlock deal. I have seen some shop
built ones that are better than the Square D model but it is still not
listed. Legally I would have to reject it or "own" it (article 90-4).
I might tend to owning it personally but that decision is really up
to my boss if I worked for a municipality,.

http://www.interlockkit.com/warranty01.htm
"Tested for use with UL 67 Listed Panelboards
Ref. Wyle Laboratories Test Report T52431-01
Wyle is a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory authorized by OSHA
for UL standard 67 and recognized by all 50 US States."

report from Wyle Laboratories
http://www.interlockkit.com/MasterElectric5243101.pdf
"Representative samples of the product covered by this report have been
evaluated and found to be suitable for use with UL 67 listed panelboards
provided the Conditions of Acceptability are
met."
The "Conditions of Acceptability" are included - generally installation
by someone who is not an idiot.

I wouldn't bet UL standards envision testing devices made for other
electrical manufacturers products (other than "classified" breakers).

Would Wyle give you enough cover?
Any opinion of whether other inspectors are likely to accept it?

More generally, what is the acceptance of NRTLs (other than UL and the
former FM) for electrical approval?
(The OSHA process is OSHA has a list of standards - mostly UL for
electrical. And it has a list of NRTLs. NRTLs are individually qualified
for each standard they are allowed to approve for, for OSHA. I kinda
remember Los Angeles does the same thing.)