Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Saga Insurance - flat roof inspection

On Mar 9, 1:08*pm, Terry Fields wrote:
On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 11:36:26 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Our insurance with Saga is up for renewal.

This year there is a new endorsement which says that any flat roof must
be inspected at least every 8 years.

Presumably this means that you will need a certificate from a builder or
roofer signed and dated.
Otherwise how do you prove that it was inspected?

While I can see that regular inspection is a good thing (as with all
other aspects of a house) this seems to be yet another item where you
will have to buy a certificate.

I also wonder what liability said builder or roofer would be taking on
when issuing a certificate to say the roof was O.K.

Does anyone currently have to do this, and if so what does it cost?

A couple of years ago a friend was complaining that his insurance co was demanding a certain grade of lock be
fitted before they would renew the insurance; he complained that this would cost ~£150.

I told him it would be cheaper to change the insurance company instead, which he did.

Result: no changing of locks, welcome decrease in premium.

Time to ditch Saga and look elsewhere?

--
Terry Fields

+1 to change. Saga, while an obliging company (re-did a lot of my
drains - though it cost them £5k and the local builder said he would
do it for under a 1k!), are horrendously expensive.

Rob