Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default convert brick fireplace to tile?

On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 17:22:13 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 13:06:25 -0800, "bob" wrote:

I have a brick fireplace like this:
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/28353179_QQL5kZ

I don't like the bricks -- rough surfaces are hard to clean, and the hearth
(brick floor) takes up alot of space.

Can the brick hearth be simply pried off and replaced with a smaller tiled
hearth? What is under the brick hearth, wood flooring like the rest of the
room, or a block of concrete?

Ideally, I would like to make the hearth into tiled, like in this pictu
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...akeover_25.jpg

I'm planning to hire some contractor for this job but I want to understand
how much work is involved.

This looks like gas faux fire place, used mostly for romance or
emergency heat. No fire embers popping out on to the floor.

I see a shut-off valve mounted on the floor, left side? Then I see a
wood floor and carpet.

Pull the left corner brick - you'll likely find a mortar bed.

So I ask about the carpet around the brick. Just some thoughts for the
contractor.

I think you are on the right approach but how do you get there?

I looked back at your photos. Given that I might reconsider taking the
brick out. Even with the warts I see, or I'm wrong.

- The brick next to the exit of the door.

- Finished trim (molding trim) sits atop the brick.

- The face trim of the fireplace also sits on the brick.

- Tells me not to take ALL the brick out, but most of the hearth?

- In the end you still have brick on the floor.

Tell us about what I think is a gas valve on the floor.