Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default odd watch band source?

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

I did recently pay 15 GBP for a watch, but it picks up a time coded radio
signal from the cesium clock at the National Physics Laboratory so its
always accurate to less than a second per year - and it has industry
standard strap pins.

Unfortunately, such a watch would be worthless here. There are no time
signals.

The cost of the watch does not matter, it's a working watch and I hate
to throw it away. It probably cost $20 to $30, but that's what a cheap
watch costs. Sorry, I just have to live with the prices.

As for choosing this news group, my server does not get the alt groups,
and over the many years I have been participating here, I find that this
is the best place to ask any repair advice, even with the high number
of trolls. There are some people on here who would rather fix something
than
toss it, just because it needs fixing.

I've been known to repair things just for the fun of it - if I don't
attribute much value to the item, I've even been known to give it away
afterwards.

Sometimes an item just isn't worth the effort - if you're really concerned
about binning a working watch that you can't get strap pins for, make a
bracket to mount it behind a magnifying glass on the mantlepiece.