Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default How do you drill through stainless steel at home?

On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 00:08:18 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Ever notice my domain name?

Yes, and I've visited the site.

I don't maintain it any more. I'm just below my maximum quota. I
should move the DNS record to point to:
http://802.11junk.com
which I also don't maintain much because it's such a disorganized
mess. Oh well.

Did you notice the emoticon that
said I was joking with you?

Nope. I usually ignore imbedded hieroglyphics.

One engineering
student started a fire by laying a hot soldering iron on a pile of paper
towels, then he stood there screaming "Run for your lives, we're all
gona die" He was standing in front of the fire extinguisher, so I
grabbed the pile of flaming towels and ran out the front door to let
them burn out in the parking lot. He had been shown where every
extinguisher was, and there were squeeze bottles full of window cleaner
that would have put it out. The last I heard of him was that he was
working for RCA designing TV tuners.. I was glad that I was out of the
TV repair business!

Sounds like me about 45 years ago. One of the other techs had started
a small fire on the workbench with a hot soldering iron. I arrived to
save the day by unloading 10 lbs of Class D dry powder from a large
fire extinguisher into the flames, and all over everything in the
shop. One big "whoosh" and the extinguisher was empty. It took about
a week to clean up the mess.

I was on the receiving end of another brain dead fire extinguisher
operator. I was working on a Rose Float at the college when sparks
from a welder set fire to a small pile of oily rags and rubbish. We
were all standing around the impromptu bon fire (it was a cold night)
when someone arrived with a CO2 fire extinguisher. Standing on the
opposite side of the fire from me, they unloaded the extinguisher,
which blew considerable burning debris in my direction. I was able to
get out of the way of this crud flame thrower just in time.

Some things just have to be learned the hard way.

Another destroyed transistors by the handful buy putting them in
wrong, then laughing about it. The last I heard, he workes at WPAFB in
one of the labs. He was at R.L. Drake, till they got out of the ham
radio business.

Careful, those that can't do anything useful on the bench, eventually
become managers.

They were the cream of the crop.

At graduation, we attempted to guess the future profession and level
of success of various notable engineering graduates. It was generally
agreed that I would die in a spectacular explosion of my own creation.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D