Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default What size wiring for Central A/C compressor?

On 3/9/2013 8:19 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Mikepier wrote:

If you know it's not the right way, then why are you
proposing to do it? Why take an AC circuit that is 100% legal
nd safe as it is and turn it into something to be used as a dangerous
code violation? If he wants a
generator connection, install an inlet outside and run
it to a proper interlock device installed on the main panel.
If the panel maker doesn't have one, then try:

http://www.interlockkit.com/

That is an excellent invention. I did not even know those interlocks
existed.

They usually show up when threads get into connecting generators to the
house panel. Last time was probably November.

A little pricey at $150, but I'll definately consider it. The
only issue is finding space in the main panel for an extra double pole
breaker for the generator, but I can use some twins here and there on
lighting circuits to to free it up.

You can add a subpanel and move some of the loads to it.

Panels will have a limitation on where you can install half-sized
breakers. It may be in all positions, no positions, or anywhere in
between. The label will tell you. Half-size/twin breakers (in general)
can only be installed where the label says they can.

Just an observation, but none of the devices offered on this website are UL
approved. They claim to meet "all NEC requirements for optional standby
systems (Article 702)," but that's easy to say.

http://www.interlockkit.com/warranty01.htm
"Tested for use with UL 67 Listed Panelboards
Ref. Wyle Laboratories Test Report T52431-01
Wyle is a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory authorized by OSHA
for UL standard 67 and recognized by all 50 US States"

Depends on whether your AHJ recognizes Wylie. There is probably not a
clean way to get these interlocks listed for other manufacturer's
panelboards. But they are a mechanical device that does not have
electrical ratings - likely they are OK. Ask the AHJ.

Several manufacturers (including SquareD and Siemens) have a similar
mechanical interlock for their panels.