Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What size wiring for Central A/C compressor?

On Mar 9, 9:19*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Mikepier wrote:

If you know it's not the right way, then why are you
proposing to do it? Why take an AC circuit that is 100% legal
nd safe as it is and turn it into something to be used as a dangerous
code violation? If he wants a
generator connection, install an inlet outside and run
it to a proper interlock device installed on the main panel.
If the panel maker doesn't have one, then try:

http://www.interlockkit.com/-Hide quoted text -

That is an excellent invention. I did not even know those interlocks
existed. A little pricey at $150, but I'll definately consider it. The
only issue is finding space in the main panel for an extra double pole
breaker for the generator, but I can use some twins here and there on
lighting circuits to to free it up.

Just an observation, but none of the devices offered on this website are UL
approved. They claim to meet "all NEC requirements for optional standby
systems (Article 702)," but that's easy to say.- Hide quoted text -

They go a bit further than that. They have the test reports that show
that they have been tested for use as accessories with UL 67 listed
panelboards.
What exactly that means in regard to making them code compliant
when put on a panel, I don't know. This issue is why I recommended
going with an interlock from the actual panel manufacturer, if one is
available. That way you know there is no issue. From some
discussions
I've seen online it looks like people are using the Interlockit
product.
How many of those are actually inspected, do some inspectors have
issues with it, IDK. Given that it's just a piece of metal, has no
direct
involvement with the electricity, obviously does what it' intended to
do,
I'd have no problem using it from a safety standpoint. But it would be
a bitch to buy it, install it and have it rejected. I guess best
thing
would be to take a print out of the info, including their test report,
over
to the inspector and ask before buying. Especially if you're in an
area
that tends to be tougher.