Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do you drill through stainless steel at home?

"Denis G." wrote in message
On Mar 8, 2:30 am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
"Danny D." wrote:

What's the trick to drilling a hole through 1/2" thick stainless
steel?

From my guardrail experience, I had bought titanium coated drill
bits.

So I thought it would be easy to drill a hole in a stainless steel
can
opener (for hanging on a loop outside by the BBQ cooler).

Nope!

I can't make a dent!

What's the trick to drilling through stainless steel?

news:rec.crafts.metalworking would be a better place to ask. (Added)

-I'd grind a very small flat spot with a Dremel tool (to prevent the
-drill bit from skating) and anneal the end with a propane torch. You
-can remove any discoloration with polishing.

Can openers are hard enough to keep their edge while puncturing steel
cans, such as tomato juice comes in..
http://www.metalsuppliersonline.com/...ypages/302.asp
"Cold working will dramatically increase the hardness of this
material,"

I've seen tensile strength listed as high as 200,000 PSI for Type 302
used for pallet strapping.

You could hang the can opener by a Prusik loop of fancy boot lacing
etc around the middle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik

This knot survives handling better than a square knot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisherman's_knot

If you use braided Nylon cord you can melt and fuse the ends of the
loop and roll the warm joint flush so it nearly disappears.
jsw