Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default What size wiring for Central A/C compressor?

On Mar 8, 9:09*am, "
wrote:
On Mar 8, 8:51*am, Mikepier wrote:

Ok ,guys. Now something just came up . I know we are up to 51 posts
for this thread already, and I was not sure whether to continue this
one, or start a new one, but anyway:

My friend had *an idea if he had gotten a generator one day, he can
utilize the A/C disconnect panel outside to backfeed into the *main
panel. Of course he would shut off the main breaker and pull the A/C
disconnect when he did this.

I can put an outdoor twistlock outlet next to the A/C disconnect
panel, and put a short nipple between them an connect the wiring.

But I cannot do this with the existing 10 guage wire since it is the
old 10/2 stuff with a small ground on it. I would need to run an 8/3
with gnd ( *2 phases plus neutral).

I know this is not the right way to backfeed a panel, but regardless,
does it make sense now to run the 8/3 ?

If you know it's not the right way, then why are you
proposing to do it? *Why take an AC circuit that is 100% legal
nd safe as it is and turn it into something to be used as a dangerous
code violation? *If he wants a
generator connection, install an inlet outside and run
it to a proper interlock device installed on the main panel.
If the panel maker doesn't have one, then try:

http://www.interlockkit.com/- Hide quoted text -

That is an excellent invention. I did not even know those interlocks
existed. A little pricey at $150, but I'll definately consider it. The
only issue is finding space in the main panel for an extra double pole
breaker for the generator, but I can use some twins here and there on
lighting circuits to to free it up.