Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_16_] Doug[_16_] is offline

Default Re-roofing Cost?

On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 04:42:48 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Mar 7, 9:05*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
" wrote:
On Mar 7, 5:26 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
" wrote:
On Mar 7, 2:43 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 7, 1:06 pm, "
wrote:

I have 3 quotes for a tear-off and reshingle of my roof.
The roof has one layer of existing shingles. *The shingles
are selling for $100 a square at Lowes. *Roof is 40 square.
Estimates work out to $270 to $335 a square. *Any sheathing
replacement is $50 a sheet. *Job will be #15 lb felt, ice dam
material on lower 3 ft. *Double felt on garage roof, which is
low pitch. *New ridge vent to be installed along entire peak.

It's in NJ, which is bad enough as far as prices and Im sure
Sandy is still a factor in prices. *I need to get it done, so
waiting isn't an option.

Any recent experiences with prices to share?

Have any of them quoted anything other than 15 lb felt?

I went with the GAF Lifetime system which included the WeatherWatch
leak barrier underlayment over the entire roof deck. See he

http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residential/Products

Regarding using a ice dam product on the entire roof,
I found guys arguing both sides of that one. *The ones
who seemed to have the science behind them, eg a
building sciences professor, were generally against it.

The proponents say:

it gives better water protection for the whole roof

Those against say:

it seals the roof, which is great to a point. *But sooner
or later some water gets in someday and with the barrier,
the wood can't breathe from the topside like it can with felt.
Moisture can't get out and the wood can rot. *Those in
favor of using it say the sheathing can still breathe and
dry out from the attic side. * Those against say, yes, that's
true, but it's better if it can breathe from both sides. *Those
in favor also say that with felt and shingles, the roof can't
breathe from the top anyhow. *The other side says yes it
can......

Bottom line for me is the existing roof lasted 28 years
with just felt, no ice dam stuff at all, no leaks, no problems.
So, I'm OK with just felt which is less expensive and less
labor intensive. *Two of the 3 roofers want to use the
ice dam stuff on the entire garage, which is low pitch.
Other guy says two layers of felt is better.... *Again, since
that's all that's there now, seems OK to me.....

My mistake. It wasn't the WeatherWatch that replaced the felt, it was
DeckArmor:

http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residenti...ck_Protection/...

When I was talking to the contractor and asked him about leaving any
section of the roof uncovered during the job, he said that they don't leave
for the day unless the DeckArmor is installed on any exposed decking. Per
the installation instructions, if installed properly, the DeckArmor can be
left uncovered for up to 6 months.

http://www.gaf.com/Residential_Roofi...tion/Deck_Armo...

The WeatherWatch was used only on the first 3 ft on the main sections of
roof. We have a fairly flat section of roof on a small addition. The
WeatherWatch was used on that entire section. Every contractor that gave me
an estimate recommended that for the flattish section.

Sorry for the confusion.- Hide quoted text -

The deck armor is apparently breathable, so it takes care of
that problem. *And a big advantage is that it can be exposed
to rain for months. * But since I'm going to have a dozen monkeys
doing the job in a day or two, that isn't an issue. *Now if I was
DIY, then I'd sure need it!

Just to be clear, the Deck-Armor wasn't used because of it's ability to be
exposed. It was used because it is required by GAF in order to get the
lifetime warranty on the shingles. My mention of its "exposibility" was
simply to point out that is must be much better (not sure that's the right
word) than standard felt.

I took a look at GAF's warranty and installation instructions for
their
Timberline shingles. Nothing there says you have to use their
underlayment.
They just give their products in the installation instructions as
examples
of underlayment.

I agree, it's much better if the roof is going to be exposed for
an unusual length of time with just the underlayment, like if it's
a DIY job. But I don't think it has much advantage when the
job is done in a day or two. I guess it might help if you have
extensive shingle blow off in a storm and the better underlayment
managed to survive. I just had that happen
with Sandy. I lost one large section of shingles right at
the peak, about 4 ft wide and 20 ft across. The felt went too.
Whether the more durable underlayment would have stayed
in place is possible, I guess, but doubtful, IMO.

The roof itself was done in 3 days, torn off and reshingled in two. There
was only one night when the roof, with the Deck-Armor installed, was left
unshingled. I assume even felt would have handled that. Do they leave felt
exposed over night? I don't know if I've ever seen that...could just be my
lousy memory. Tarps I've seen.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, felt is waterproof. AFAIK, the essential part is to get the
tearoff, any repair, and then felt down fast, like one day, so
that it can then withstand the typical rain. It's supposed to be
good for at least a week or two. If I thought there was any
chance of going more than that, or expected higher winds,
heavy rain, etc before the shingles went down, then for sure I'd
use one of the more durable underlayments.

Where I am in Texas, there were a lot of big homes with several
roofing companies doing re-roofs with complete tear-offs. I always
saw them doing the felt paper (underlayment) the same day as the
tear-off. I think I never saw any exception to this on the re-roof.
However on new homes, I've seen the plywood put on (completed) and it
may be days before they begin putting on the roofing materials.