Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_5_] Baron[_5_] is offline

Default How do you drill through stainless steel at home?

Rich Webb Inscribed thus:

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 21:46:00 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

What's the trick to drilling a hole through 1/2" thick stainless
steel?

From my guardrail experience, I had bought titanium coated drill bits.

So I thought it would be easy to drill a hole in a stainless steel can
opener (for hanging on a loop outside by the BBQ cooler).

Nope!

I can't make a dent!

What's the trick to drilling through stainless steel?

Ding it with a punch to get started, else you'll just skip around on
that convex surface. Use the right cutting fluid and a slow-ish drill
speed.

And a carbide drill ! You can buy ones specifically ground for
stainless and other hard to machine materials.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.