Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Domin-OH (wow) - working with 1/32 precision ...

On 3/7/2013 7:59 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/27/2013 5:54 PM, Mike M wrote:
...I don't understand why people argue about trying for as
much accuracy as you can get. My experience has been that the more
attention to the detail saves a lot of problems in finishing a
project. You have a system that works well for you. I can't claim to
always work to that accuracy but I applaud you for holding yourself to
your standard.

I do it simply because my work requires it.

Here's an absolute perfect example of how easy it is to be bit in the
butt by 1/16" if you don't:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...91840854584354

Rotating, a part 1/16" over 2 3/8" (instead of making a small, 1.4
degree, compound angle, cut in the apron) causes an almost 3/4" error in
leg offset ... totally unacceptable, and grievous, for both intended
use, and implementation of design.

Imagine, what it would do to your reputation and bottom line, to give a
client, who paid you good money for a faithful reproduction, the chair
on the right, and then have her put it next to an existing chair in her
dining room and expect them to visually line up for her next dinner party.

The tendency to ignore precise measuring, and angle inconsistencies, no
matter how convenient to do so, is a fools game that will very often
result in unintended consequences costing time, money and materials.

(Also points out the wisdom of making a detailed, scale model of your
project before you ever go out to the shop so these types of issues can
be sussed out on paper, instead of on materials ... IOW, enter the
obligatory Sketchup tout, once again G)

And no ... I did not make this mistake, although I did wonder just what
the consequences/impact of eight fewer compound angle mortise and
floating tenon joints would have on the project ... thanks to Sketchup,
that was easier to determine than would otherwise been possible ... just
thought I'd share it.)

Measure twice, carefully and with precision ... then repeat as often as
necessary.

And to further support accuracy beyond 1/32", the below link goes to
my desk top which I glued up today. Length 93.5" Height 54" Depth
14.5". 8 dado's in the plywood panels and 12 dado/groves in the front
and back face frames, no butt joints.

Back and front face frames are not identical, back rails are different
length as are the center stiles from the front rails. Back center
stiles are also wider than the front center stiles.

Nothing was cut to fit, all was cut exactly to reflect the plans. Had
any cuts been off this would non have locked together as it did. Whew!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...9515/lightbox/