Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default Remote temperature sensors - multiple sensors?

On 6 Mar, 19:45, "David.WE.Roberts" wrote:
On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 05:56:05 -0800, dwtowner wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 March 2013 10:03:14 UTC, Tim Watts *wrote:
On Wednesday 06 March 2013 09:51 Andy Champ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 05/03/2013 19:27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house.

These are not wireless, and require a twisted pair

Am I the only person trying to work out how "1-wire" means twisted
pair?

Andy

The name is erroneous - a marketing gimmick - it means "1 wire for +ve
power

and data combined" - you still have a 2nd wire for ground...

There are actually three wires! Ground, data and power. Some 1-wire
devices can derive enough power from the data wire to run without the
power wire, but not all can. 1-wire refers to a single wire being used
for data/signal, unlike other hardware protocols which require data +
clock at least.

I've got multiple 1-wire temperature sensors hanging off my Raspberry
Pi. Some distros for the Pi (e.g, Occidentalis) allow 1-wire devices to
be connected to a GPIO, but I've got mine working off an I2C 1-wire bus
master, which then makes the sensors available through a file-system
interface.

dan.

...errrr.....a data wire but no clock signal wire?

What's wrong with that?

So asynchronous as opposed to synchronous data?

Isochronous.

MBQ